Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sunny San Diego



http://www.allegiantair.com/aaImages/destinationspages/alldestinations/sandiego_PC.jpg


Last weekend my husband and I traveled to sunny San Diego for a wedding.  After the New York winter we’ve had, we couldn’t wait to get there.  We were looking forward to a little sun.  Well we got more than a little.  It was sunny and in the 70’s for our entire stay.

One morning we went to get coffee from a nearby coffee shop.  When the owner saw my husband’s Yankee hat, he asked if we were from New York.  It turns out he is from Boston, the Yankees rival city.  He moved to San Diego to escape the Boston winters.  He also told us that the weather we were experiencing is the same weather they have from April until at least September. 

After visiting San Diego, we are very tempted to trade in our snow boots for flip-flops!  

Vocabulary

wedding (noun) – an event where to people get married

rival (noun) – a competitor

escape (verb) – to free oneself

experiencing (verb) – participating in the event

tempted (verb) – to have appeal

flip-flops (noun) – casual summer sandals typically worn at the beach

Cloze Exercise

I was  _______________________ to have a second helping of ice cream.
On my _______________________ day I wore a long, white dress.

The prisoner tried to _______________________ from jail.

He was ___________________________ snow for the first time.

The New York Yankees biggest _______________________ is the Boston Red Sox.

I love wearing ______________________ in the warm weather.


Grammar Point
A noun is a person, place, thing or idea.  When you are speaking about a specific person, place, thing, or idea it is called a proper noun.  When using a proper noun, you must use a capital letter.  Can you find the proper nouns in my writing?  How are my proper nouns related?

1 comment:

  1. I have never been to San Diego, but would love to go. I have been to LA, and loved it. The weather is amazing. If I didn't have so many ties to the New York area, California would be in the running for a place to call home!

    ReplyDelete