Thursday, May 5, 2011

Running in San Diego



http://www.sandiegobikeandkayaktours.com/assets/images/pacific_beach/boardwalk-san-diego.jpg

http://www.sandiegorunningclubs.com/images/san_diego_marathon_2.jpg

In my very first post, I professed my love for running.  I also spoke about how running really helps me get to know new cities.  Well, last weekend when I was in San Diego, I did a lot of running.  I actually looked forward to my run each morning while I was there.  How could I not?  It’s always sunny and warm, and I was near the beach.

San Diego is a great place to run because the weather is always perfect.  The weather in New York has been horrible, so for the last six months, I’ve done most of my running on the treadmill at the gym.  In San Diego, I felt liberated to be able to run outdoors.  Not only did I run outdoors, but I ran with the ocean next to me most of the time. 

There is a boardwalk that runs along San Diego’s beaches from Mission Beach to Pacific Beach.  This strip of Boardwalk reminds me of Long Beach, New York because it runs through an eclectic, residential area of the city.  The people watching was amazing.

Vocabulary

professed (v.) – to declare

perfect (adj.) – without flaw or blemish

horrible (adj.) – terrible; very bad

treadmill (n.) – a machine that one runs on

liberated (v.) - freed

eclectic (adj.) – diverse; showing individuality

residential (adj.) – to describe an area where people live

Cloze Exercise 

He had a ________________ score on his spelling test.


She had a __________________ nightmare while she was sleeping.


When I run indoors, I run on a ___________________.


We live in a _________________ area, far from any businesses.


Prince William __________________ his love for his bride on their wedding day.


The East Village is an __________________ neighborhood of New York City.


I felt _____________________ to finally be able to run outdoors.

Grammar Point

Adjectives are words that describe nouns.  I used the adjective, horrible, to describe the weather in New York.  Try to improve a piece of your writing by including adjectives that help create a picture for your reader.





No comments:

Post a Comment