Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pat Down

http://dailybail.com/picture/tsa-cartoon-19.jpg?pictureId=7769619&asGalleryImage=true


Who knew that body lotion could lead to a pat-down at the airport?

The morning of my flight from San Diego back to New York, I chose to use the complimentary body lotion at the hotel.  I normally use an all-natural, organic lotion, but I had run out.  Since I don't like having dry skin, I used the hotel's lotion.  Little did I know that this would lead to a pat down at the airport.

My husband and I arrived at the airport, and everything was going smoothly until I went through the scanner.  The scanner beeped.  I had taken off my belt, shoes, watch etc.  I wondered what could be the cause of the beep.  Well, the TSA agent brought me over to a booth and swabbed my hand.  It turns out that it tested positive for a chemical called glycerin.  I guess this chemical is sometimes found in explosives.  I couldn't believe it.  

Because I tested positive for this substance, they told me that I had to go through a pat-down.  I had nothing to hide, so I agreed.  The female agent did a pat down, then they swabbed her hands.  Because my clothes were clean, they let me go.  They explained that this has been an issue for a lot of people who use a lotion before going to the airport.

It was a scary experience for me.  I am glad that they are doing their job to make sure we are safe, but next time I will stick with my all-natural products.

Vocabulary

complimentary (adj.) - given free of charge

lotion (n.) - smooth liquid one spreads on their body to prevent dry skin

organic (adj.) - items that are free of harmful chemicals

scanner (n.) - device at the airport that people must pass through while being screened by security

chemical (n.) substance created in a chemical process
positive (adj.) sure that something is true

substance (n.) - drug or chemical of a particular kind

Cloze Exercise

I used the ______________________ body ____________________ from the hotel.  Later, when I went through the _____________________, they pulled me aside and swabbed my hands.  The results of the test were ______________________ for a particular _____________________.  The ____________________ they found was called glycerin.  From now on, I will only use all-natural, ___________________ body lotion before going to the airport.


Grammar Point
Many teachers in the past have told me never to begin a sentence with the word because.  That is because many people don't know how to use it at the beginning of a sentence.  When you use because at the beginning of a sentence, you must remember that the word because is part of a dependent clause and therefore must be followed by a comma and an independent clause. 
Locate the two sentences that I began with the word because.  After locating these sentences, find the dependent and independent clause in each one.

1 comment:

  1. When we went to Florida I was also selected to have my hands swabbed for chemicals, but I did not need to go through the pat down. However, when we returned from Florida, they detected a chemical on my stroller and as a result, I had to go through a pat down. The chemical was from a spray on sun tan lotion that I had used on my kids legs when they were sitting in the stroller. It was a little embarrassing, but I am also glad that they are taking these precautions for the sake of our safety. I also wanted to mention that your little grammar videos are not only hilarious, but also helpful!

    ReplyDelete